Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday: Somali Head Rest, Real or Fake?

Holy Cow!  Where does the time go?  It has been almost a week since I posted anything!  I have been busy with eBay, so that is a good thing.  Two days this week, I have been listing items to sell.  And as most of you know, that does take time.  You have to research the item, take pictures, weigh it, etc.  It is a lot of work.






But, I have been enjoying it.  The other two days this week, I spent helping my mom out.  Since her episode with seizures she has not been able to drive.  I go down to see her at least twice a week and take her out to go shopping and run errands.  I don't usually plan to make it a whole day, but it usually ends up taking the whole day.  I am a morning person, so in the afternoon I don't have any desire to work on eBay stuff.

 Here is an interesting find.  This is a lightweight wood, appears to be hand carved from a single piece of wood.  I had no idea what it was and had to post a picture of it to a forum I belong to and ask for help.

 Very quickly a fellow member posted it looks like a Somalian head rest.  What.....it that??

I found some information here.  Scroll down to the bottom and check out the pictures.... and you will see one like mine.

I have no idea how to get mine authenticated  Do any of you have some suggestions?  

It could be a replica or a souvenir, I am curious to find out which it is.  And how much it is worth.
 When I do find out its worth, I will let you know!

3 comments:

Van said...

I wish I had suggestions for this thing. I have no idea on it, though. I rarely research anything. I need to change that!

Lisa said...

Hi Van,

I had no idea what it was initially,but hoping to turn it in to a profit very soon!

Jac said...

I actually own two of these but mine are from Ethiopia. My mom brought them back after living there. I'm not sure how you would research them, but maybe start by determining what kind of wood it's made from and see if that's available in Somalia/Ethiopia/eastern Africa to see if it's authentic.